Great Recipes for the Whole Family
Be adventurous – Simple Paella
Paella is easy and you can tailor it to suit your family’s taste. This one uses both chicken and fish you could use either or just substitute for more veg and vegetable stock. Use a large frying pan. Keep an eye on the rice once you start adding the stock, you calculate 21/2 cups of stock for each cup of rice, depending on which type of rice you use you may need less or more, taste rice towards the end of cooking for firmness, the rice should be slightly al dente, ideally you would like a small amount of liquid still left in the pan so when you cover it with the tea towel the rice will absorb it and finish cooking.
1 x small onion diced
1 x clove of garlic chopped small
1 x table spoon of parsley chopped s
1 x red pepper
4-6 chicken thighs
50 gms frozen peas
Small tin of chopped toms
Mixture of mussels, squid, scallops, prawns
2 cups of long grain rice
Chicken stock – 21/2 cups per cup of rice
Pinch of saffron
1. Dice your onion and red pepper, chop garlic and parsley. If chicken is on the bone or thighs are large chop in half.
2. Heat a small amount of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat fry onion and pepper for 3-4 mins
3. Add garlic and parsley fry for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add chicken and fry until golden and cooked through
5. Add tin of tomatoes
6. Add peas and fish and fry for a further 4 mins.
7. Add rice, mix well then add 2 cups of chicken stock, simmer until enough room to add more stock. Add saffron and season to taste.
8. Taste rice for firmness, when cooked remove from hob and cover frying pan with a clean tea towel for 10 mins.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Easy Peasy Lasagna
For the meat sauce:
1lb of mince beef
1 x onion
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp of basil
1 tbl of oregano
For the white sauce:
1oz plain flour
25 grms butter
¾ pint of milk
9 strips of uncooked Lasagne pasta
A generous helping of grated cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F (180°C, Gas Mark 4).
2. Chop the onion and garlic and brown off in a frying pan. Then add the mince beef and brown.
3. Add the tomatoes and stir.
4. Add the Orgeano and Basil and season. Simmer for 30 mins
5. Put milk, 1 bay leaf and half onion in saucepan and bring to the boil. Take off the hob and leave to infuse for 10-15 mins.
6. Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add flour to make a paste. Cook for 1 min.
7. Remove saucepan with flour mixture from the hob. Sieve milk into pouring jug then pour a couple of ladles full at a time into flour mixture and stir well with wooden spoon making a smooth and creamy sauce, keep adding the milk slowly.
8. Once all milk added bring saucepan back to hob and bring it to the boil stirring constantly, then remove pan form heat.
8. Now layer the ingredients, starting with the meat sauce, then white sauce then a layer of pasta, do this three times and end with white sauce if you have any left and a layer of grated cheese on the very top.
9. Put it in the oven to cook for about 45 mins or until nice and brown on top.
Serve with garlic bread and salad.
Tuna Pasta Bake
1 x tin of campbells condensed mushroom soup
1 x tin of tuna
Cheese for grating
Add soup and milk
Drain tuna add to pasta, mix well
Put pasta mixture in baking tray
Grate cheese over
Bake until golden
The most lush bread & butter pudding!
300g ready made Brioche
50g of raisins or sultanas
200ml Double Cream
2 Egg Yolks and 1 whole egg
Slice brioche, soften butter and butter one side if you like, halve slices and arrange them in a lightly buttered baking dish baking
Beat the yolks, egg and sugar in a large bowl until foamy. Whisk in the cream and milk.
Pour custard over brioche press down to allow bread to absorb liquid, leave to rest for 30 mins
Place baking dish in a roasting pan and pour in boiling water to reach half way up the sides. Put in oven and bake for 30-45 mins